Saturday, June 4, 2011

Update and a New Project!

THESIS IS SUBMITTED! I defend it next Thursday. EEP! In the mean time, I've mostly been spending my time relaxing a bit and working on my presentation, which I need to give before the oral examination.

I'm quite excited for the defense, for 3 reasons:

1) I can't wait to be finished! (obvious point is obvious)
2) I'm looking forward to discussing my research with people who have read my thesis and know what it's about. I want to hear my committee's input and see what suggestions they have to improve my text.
3) I get to finally wear my thesis dress!

Oh, and the shoulder bumps that I was so worried about? They were tamed by a couple passes through the washer/dryer, so yay!

I've also started a little sewing project. I'm attempting Simplicity 2599 again, but with some changes.

My coral ruffle shirt from the Wardrobe Contest 2010

I'm doing version F (with the elastic at the waist) in a black sheer polka dot and window pane...something fabric (feels synthetic to me), but am lengthening the sleeves, doing away with the facing and centre back seam, and adding a tie in the front instead of the ruffles.

Pseudo-redrafted sleeve, with original sleeve on top. Made it a bit bigger too!

Drafted pieces for the front tie. Back piece on top and front pieces below. Ties widen a bit at the end.

I'm excited to make this, but I'm not sure how to attach the tie in the front, where the two pieces meet. I'm going to have to look into how to do this on existing patterns, I suppose. If anyone has any advice, I'd be glad to hear it!

I'm actually at my buddy Heather's place (aka Fuss), using her cutting table and lovely (newer than mine) Kenmore! So sweet of her to let me considering she's stuck on a thesis-induced sewing hiatus herself! :-)

So I'm tentatively back. Still have thesisy things to do, and I won't be back home until July, so there won't be many posts yet, but I'm here, and I'll be posting! YAY! *hugs the sewing community*

Also, look what I found at a local Farmer's Market!

Thumb ring made from a fork handle!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for getting your thesis submitted!! I can't wait to see the things you make. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Good luck on your shirt, but especially on the defense. Just remember, at this point you know more about your stuff than anyone else in the room will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're back. I can't wait to see your shirt and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That ring is so pretty! What a great find!!! Yay for getting your thesis in and being done with all that, awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...