Saturday, March 2, 2013

How to Rip Back a Knitting Project Without Crying (Much)


I'm working on a hilarious sweater pattern, and I got so eager to watch the colourwork develop that I completely forgot to do the side shaping.  Unfortunately this meant I had to pull back 5 rows. Not too bad, but it's a long way around and it made me sad.  To make things easier, I figured out how to insert my circular needle into the row I had to rip back to, and I thought I'd share!

Oh but, sorry for the shoddy pictures...

Identify the row you need to rip back to.
Insert the needle under the right side loop of each stitch.
Be careful to stay along the same row. It's easy to shift to next row if you're not watching properly.
Work all the way around. If you're working in the round, remember that you're spiralling upward!
Pull back the yarn... (please excuse my messy messy livingroom)
...until all the stitches are active on your needles!
And then good luck detangling all the yarn you just ripped back.

4 comments:

  1. That is brilliant! I had no idea you could do that. Thanks for the tip. I really hate ripping back and only do it for major mishaps. The rest is just hand made charm :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wondering about doing this after putting in my first lifeline into a sweater. I could see how the yarn weaved in, and I wondered if you could just do the same with a needle. I haven't come across this technique anywhere (probably because I haven't actually looked), but someone must have done it before! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh yes it's a common ripping technique! :D I have done it before. I SHOULD have done it with one of my lace shawls (the Autumn Underbrush on Ravelry) but the mistake was like 6 rows down on 200+ stitch laceweight rows with beading, so that was NOT happening. I ended up laddering down across 30 stitches and picking up IN PATTERN. That may be the most epic thing I've ever done in my life.

    Looks great so far! Go go Heather! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that someone else would've come up with this long ago, because it's a bit too obvious for if even I worked it out. :D It's fun learning the hard way though, and I figured that there might be other new knitters out there who'd never heard of it before!

      That is incredibly impressive! I've laddered down before, but just to fix a purl which should've been a knit. I can't imagine doing it on something more complex!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...