Tuesday, August 14, 2012

We Be Yarn Bombing

Photo Credit
I have been remiss.  I told myself I was waiting for this aerial photo of the airplane to come out. But then I just procrastinated.  And blog post topics (including some sewing!!!) have been piling up behind the log-jam of this procrastinated promised post.  SO HERE IT IS.

Well actually, here's a link to it, because the wonderful ladies over at Yarn Bomb Yukon have chronicalled it far better than I ever could, and it's their baby so they should get the blog post credit (and all sorts of other credit and kudos because they have busted their butts off for the last 6 months over this project).  So please head over to their blog, and check out not only all the photos of the yarn bombed DC-3, but also the progress posts and history of the plane.

For instance, did you know that this DC-3 is the worlds largest weathervane? (I'm sorry, that piddly one in Michigan doesn't come close to ours!)

The installation went really well on Saturday, and it was finished by 2:30 pm!  I admit, I think everyone was motivated by the ominous dark grey clouds starting to peak around the mountains all around us, but it was a monumental effort by everyone involved, and was a heck of a lot of fun!  I helped out by sitting in a lawn chair, live tweeting on my dumb phone and knitting.  :)

ETA: There's now a time-lapse video of the installation!  Go check it out, it's amazing!

Photo Credit
Oh, and see that Canada flag?  I crocheted the maple leaf from an entirely made up pattern. I'm pretty proud of it!  A little wonky, but you can tell it's the Canadian maple leaf! 

Thank you, Yarn Bomb Yukon, Yukon Transportation Museum, Yukon Arts Centre, and everyone involved with this project!

6 comments:

  1. I saw this as a news story on the National this weekend (thanks for the link on the history). It looks like you guys had some fun while doing some awesome charity work at the same time. Thumbs up on the maple leaf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've gotten some great coverage on it. I couldn't believe it when Jessica said the national was covering the project!

      And thanks! I should really work out that crochet pattern for others. There's not a lot out there for Canadian maple leaf patterns.

      Delete
  2. This is incredible. Skimming their website gave me goosebumps. What a beautiful and innovative way to engage and give back to your community. (P.S. - LOVE the maple leaf!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's the biggest yarn bombing I've seen yet! I actually saw in real life that someone knitted a cover around an old phone book that is attached to an old telephone box. And yarn bombing even made it's way into advertising in a very strange way - a tampax ad, have you seen it? Here's someone's post that has a photo http://retreadart.blogspot.com/2012/07/funny-for-day.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The organizers have contacted the Guiness Book of World Records to see if this is the largest yarn bombing to date! At the very least, it's the biggest in Canada! :)

      Huh, I hadn't seen that ad. Maybe this is where all the associations we've been getting between yarn bombing and tampons is coming from. Not really the best association in my mind, but still kind of funny. Thanks for passing that on!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...