Saturday, April 21, 2012

Finished Object: The Spotted Blouse

HOLY COW DON'T FAINT, I actually finished something!! Oh I know, I did that scarf 3 weeks ago, but that barely counts.

Actually I started this blouse months ago, but only finished it this past week. Heck, I've worn it too many times to count with both the bottom hem and the sleeves unfinished! Whoops.

Last Wednesday, I had a big meeting at work and we were supposed to dress business casual. I opted for a pair of black trousers I bought a few months ago, and wanted to wear this spotted blouse with it. Except the hem was starting to really fray after...many washes, and what if it was warm and I needed to take off my cardigan?! Hairy sleeves are not so pretty. So late Tuesday night, I hemmed the bottom, and very early Wednesday morning, I hemmed the sleeves.

As I've said, I'm very good at procrastination!

But now it's finished, and I want at least 8 more of these. With a few modifications, of course.

This blouse is Simplicity 2594, view B. It's made with a mystery poly-something polkadot fabric I found at Value Village last summer sometime for just a few bucks. I've been sitting on this fabric for a while, trying to find the perfect pattern to pair with it, and I think I found it. The blouse is bias-cut, and this fabric just hangs beautifully without clinging in awkward places.

The cowl neckline turned out pretty good too. I didn't do a FBA on this as it was very drapy. I'm good with the effect, but I suspect the cowl would be a bit looser and less v-neck if I'd done the FBA. I will say, the cowl seems to hang whatever way it feels like it that day, so sometimes its like this, and sometimes it's softer, and other times it flips out in all the wrong places. I suspect this is just the nature of these cowls.

It's difficult to see in these pictures, but there's some pretty gathers at the shoulder to help the front cowl. I really like the effect.

I think next time I'm going to draft the sleeves a bit longer so that they hang over my ham-hock upper arms a bit more. Seriously, I didn't realize how thick they were until I saw these photos! Ah blog photos. At least it keeps me honest about my body, both the good parts and the bad. lol

Uh yeah, see what I mean about those arms? These sleeves aren't doing me any favours. ANYWAYS, yes that's a yoke across the upper back. It's actually a nice feature, cut on-grain and self-lined for stability and keeps the rest of the bodice hanging nicely. Sadly, the blouse pools on my prominant derriere, so I think I need to finally suck it up and do a sway-back adjustment. It really stands out because of the bias-cut drape.

On a side note, I bought these very skinny jeans a while ago, and have been trying to decide if I like them or not (and whether I should be wearing them). These photos tell me that no, they're not a very good idea, mostly because the fit is awful. They are far too tight, but the one size up was falling off my waist they were so loose up there. *sigh* I hate clothes shopping, especially now that I sew and understand how things should fit. But I do like the narrow leg profile, and I think I need to look into pants like the Clovers.

Anyways, back to this blouse. I really like it as a layering pieces, since yay polkadots, and I practically live in cardigans now. However, I suspect that if I work out the issue with the sway-back and the unflattering sleeves, this will make a great summer top pattern. And frankly, if I was willing to wear this blouse unfinished, a couple fit issues aren't going to keep me out of it this summer.

I mean, wouldn't it look cute with a bright yellow skirt?!

13 comments:

  1. Looks great! Love the polkadots :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polkadots don't get the credit it should for it's awesomeness. :D

      Delete
  2. Pretty! I wouldn't go too much longer on the sleeves since they are very flattering as-is from the front, which is how most people will see (and remember) you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a drop sleeve option that I'm considering. I really should know by now that cap sleeves really don't work for me. :) But thank you!

      Delete
  3. I love it. I think your sleeves look just fine. :-) I totally get your blog photos keeping you honest comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The photos are both depressing and reassuring, eh? lol

      Delete
  4. Such a cute top! I love polka dots, and they work perfectly for the pattern you chose. :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a great top, i can picture it dressed up and down in every season....well done!!!! i have to say, i like the black skinnies on you, but i'm having a hard time seeing the fit issues... i think black clovers (in black denim?) would be fantastic and something you should definitely attempt!!

    congrats on finishing something!!! *high fives* back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes yes yes to the yellow skirt! Yellow is such a great summer color and with that top, beautiful! I want this pattern now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great, and I bet it will be (already is?) SUPER versatile. Good job!

    I don't know if the back needs a swayback adjustment or just a bit more room over the hips---in the side-view it appears to be riding up at the hem. (Though I find I do this with all my tees, regardless of how much room they have, unless it's a full tunic length.)

    Cowls always seem to have a mind of their own---I love how this one looks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's actually plenty of room around the hips. I actually took it in a tiny bit because there was TOO much room around the hips! :D I've noticed that the hem of tops will 'perch' on my butt and then all the extra fabric will pool on my lower back. Not sure if this requires a sway-back adjustment or just a shorter hem.

      I wore this top the other day and the cowl decided it was going to flip inside out the whole day. I gave it a time out when I got home, and hopefully that (and a run through the wash) will help it behave itself next time. :D

      Delete
  8. I love it! It is so flattering on you! I like the yellow skirt with the top too.

    I know what you mean about feeling like you haven't finished anything lately. I feel the same way...probably because I have a few half-finished projects and several zippers to repair.

    Nothy
    www.aftagley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! You did a great job making what looks like a really versatile piece. And the yellow skirt is just perfect! :)

    I really don't see what you're talking about with your arms... But I do get what you said about blog photos keeping you honest... I *never* used to allow anyone to take pictures of me, and I couldn't bear to look at them.. Growth...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...