Sunday, February 5, 2012

Wooly Coat: FINALLY CUT

So I'd completely stalled out on working on my coat, mostly because of this:

Ridiculous!

So much cutting! And cutting wool too. DO NOT WANT. So in an effort to force myself to do it, this was the only project I allowed myself to bring to a sewing meet-up today with a couple other Winnipeg sewists (these two awesome ladies here).

Seriously, we need a name. Brenda suggested the Marble Stash, mostly because we always go to the Marble Slab afterward for The Best Ice Cream Ever. Plus stash-busting yay!

Anyways, Brenda and Sheila put up with my whining and moaning and bribe attempts, and somehow I managed to finish cutting everything. That's probably mostly because Sheila is awesome and lent me a pair of scissors that were willing to cut through the wool without eating my fingers. But seriously, look at this blasted pile of fabric parts:

Ridiculous! This coat better be worth it, because that's FOUR different types of fabric there. I cut each piece in at least two different types of fabric. Ridiculous.

Anywho, after much (much MUCH) consideration, I've decided to just use the brushed cotton for an interlining. I hate being too hot, and if it's a -35C day, then I'll just add a layer underneath. I layer like a cake on a regular basis anyways. Plus our winter has been stupidly mild this year, so forget it. Thank you everyone for your input on the interlining!

Now I just need to sew the blasted thing.

9 comments:

  1. I was wondering about your coat. The colour is beautiful, I can't wait to see it once it is complete.
    I have fabric waiting to be cut for a coat (Vogue 1083), I had planned to sew it this winter but I've only got as far as cutting the muslin. I haven't yet sewn the muslin. This might be a summer 2012 project the way I've been procrastinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see it once it's finished too! Except I'll bet it'll be summer before it is, at this rate. lol! Good luck on your own coat (someday). Maybe if you start next summer, it'll be done in time for the following winter? Of course, who wants to work on a big hot coat in the middle of the summer?!

      Delete
  2. Oh, good for you! I actually got started fusing and cutting Osiris's coat last night---must be something in the air. Sometimes we need to just make decisions and move on, good or bad. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be this frigid weather we've been having. *rolls eyes*

      Delete
  3. I love that someone else gets irritated at their own project ideas. I thought it was just me that had to force myself to do things! You'll be happy to have it done. Trudge on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I only get irritated with my projects ALWAYS. I have at least 3 tops that have yet to be hemmed and I don't wanna do it! Glad I'M not the only one too. :D

      Delete
  4. Trust me...the cutting out is the longest hardest part of coat-making! This coat will look FANTASTIC when you are done and you will be so proud of it and yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used to HATE cutting, but have learned to love it over time. Not so much here. So glad this stage is done!

      Delete
  5. I really think you are going to love it. I just love the color. I wanted to let you know, the post I linked to you is up at Sew weekly http://www.sewweekly.com/2012/02/my-honky-tonk-blues-dress/

    Thanks again for giving me permission.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...