Plus I have way too much fabric laying around, and not many clothes. Seems like a good way to spend my time! That said, once I start working, the posts will probably drop off from the daily posting I've been doing, although I'll still be posting a couple times a week. (I hope!)
That said, I have another finished project to share with you. To celebrate her birthday, Tanit-Isis decided to share the pattern she created for her Grecian Goddess dress. Sadly, she hadn't had a chance to grade the pattern, and I don't think there was any way I was getting my leg into a dress her size, never mind the rest of me. But then on Thursday, she posted the multi-sized pattern! By some coincidence (I prefer to call it Fate), I'd just gotten the old printer working, so of course I scurried off to print it.
Now, I have to admit, I didn't expect to like this pattern on me, since Tanit-Isis and I are physically very different people. But I wanted to try it out anyways, and I needed a break from the corduroy jacket. Granted, I opted to make a top instead of a dress, and a self-fabric sash instead of the shirring (I find shirring a little uncomfortable). But I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised! This makes a gorgeous and very comfortable top, and I think the dress would be even better.
I made a size L, but graded to an XL below the waist, out of a shirting fabric found at the thrift store. I don't think I needed to grade to a larger size below the waist, since there's a lot of ease at the hips. Next time, I won't bother. The neckline is gorgeous, and the shoulder gathers even more so. The sleeves hit me at a nice length, and there's no gaping under the arm. And it's remarkably comfortable to wear!
The only complaint I have about this pattern is the back. Perhaps it's my fabric, which is a bit heavier than what Tanit-Isis used, or perhaps it's just the way my back is, but I find the back of the garment winds up with some strange wrinkles. Maybe if this was actually shirred, it would lay better. In fact, doing the actual shirring would probably also reduce the amount of fiddling I do with this top, as I tend to futz with the gathers around the belt. I may yet do a few lines of shirring to see if this helps. But otherwise, I'm quite pleased with this top. Especially since I didn't really think it'd work well for me.
Oh also, don't forget that the pattern is drafted with 3/8" seams, not the usual 5/8". I had to tear out a couple seams when I forgot about this little fact. lol
I have to
Happy (belated) birthday Tanit-Isis! Thank you for sharing your pattern with us. The size L turned out quite well for me, and no, I didn't make any effort to adjust for a larger bust. There was some strangeness in the pattern under the arm, but it worked itself out once stitched up. This pattern went together really easily and quickly, and I'm looking forward to making this up as a dress. Maybe in black, or a textured charcoal grey.
It even works well layered under my new jacket. \o/
And speaking of free patterns, don't forget to go and sign up for my vintage pattern giveaway! The draw will be held on Tuesday, so you only have a couple more days to sign up!