Thursday, July 5, 2012

Hellooo from the Yukon!


Hey there guys, long time no see! Erm, sorry about that. Between getting my apartment cleared out, a 3200 km cross-country road trip, and settling into my new home, I've been a little bit busy. I'm slowly catching up on blog reading, but I'm sure I've missed out on so much this past month or so.

As you can see, I made it to Whitehorse, Yukon! Yes, that's still in Canada. Look on a full sized picture of the country, and look at the NW corner of it. No, not Alaska, that's part of the States; the triangle bit of land beside it to the east. That's where I live now!

Here I am, about to leave on my epic road trip. Aw dear Tommy (my hot little car). Poor guy was loaded to the roof.
Oh hey, is that a thread rack in the back window?
The trip was a blast.  I managed to do the whole drive in about 3.5 days, which was about 3 days shorter than I'd originally planned it, but once I was on the road, I didn't really want to make all the stops I'd originally planned to do.  And I certainly don't mind driving for 12+ hours a day!

So I went from the prairies...


...to the mountains...


...and I can't think of a better way to fall in love with your new home than to drive to it.  The change in landscape was amazing to see, especially for a prairie girl unaccustomed to things like 'topography'.

And I haven't done a stitch of sewing since arriving.  In fact, my sewing machine is still wedged between the front and back seats in Tommy.  There's just so much to do outdoors here (never mind all the hassle of switching over my car insurance, licence, bills, and you know, finding a job and all), and there's not much summer to enjoy doing it in.  This means that sewing and crafting projects will probably be a bit on the light side from me until the weather turns.

Which, admittedly, probably won't be that long.

Anyways, I have managed to get my patterns and fabric unpacked and put away.  And look, my fabric is put away NEATLY and FOLDED!  Poor fabric are probably in shock, this is the first time ever that they've been put away tidily!


Wovens and a bin of tools (with interfacing and some plastic on top).
All sorts of wovens, with my small collection of knits at the back on the left. Wow, prooves how much I don't work with knits.

Pile of vintage sheets, to be made into a blanket for my bed at some unknown distance future. Maybe.



Hey, I said they were folded and neat, I didn't say organized.  Yep, there's silk mixed in with polyester and cotton and a whole bunch of other stuff I can't identify.  Not even the denim is bunched together. WHATEVER IT'S TIDY.


Patterns, pretty much how they were at my apartment, except facing the other direction. I reused my sorting tags by folding them over, and I love this so much more!  You can actually see what section is which, and how many patterns are in that section.  Boy do I ever have a lot of dress patterns for a girl who doesn't make them that often.

And a shelf for my sewing books (plus an iron and oversized patterns).

The biggest problem I'm going to face when I do start sewing again is that I don't really have any room.  This is all in my bedroom, and it's not a big space.  I have no where to lay out and cut patterns and fabric, and no space for an ironing board.  I'm going to have to get extremely creative to come up with solutions.  Suggestions more than welcome!

 Oh, I did check out the local thrift story, a Salvation Army.  Uh, it's less than stellar, but...it had 6 DRAWERS dedicated to sewing patterns!  I only allowed myself two patterns, a sweater pattern that I'm sort of in love with (hey I'm in the Yukon now, I need warm clothes!), and blouse pattern that I've been on the watch for ever since Forrest from Presser Foot Propaganda made up her version of it!  YAY!

Thanks for your patience, and I hope you'll forgive me for my (former and probably ongoing) absense.  I'll be back sewing in no time!  In the mean time, don't be surprised if you get a comment or two on some old posts.  I'm catching up!

11 comments:

  1. So glad you are more or less settled in! Cant wait to see pics of your new place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you made it! I love the mountains picture. I want to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW! You are there! How exciting! Yes, lot of exclamation points, but in this case they are definitely needed. What part of town are you living in, I need to visualize. Riverdale (where I uses to live, on Tutshi), Porter Creek, downtown, Grainger? How are you adapting to the looonnnng hours of daylight? Deets, I need deets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm living in Riverdale, in some townhouse condos next to Sternwheeler Apartments on Lewes Blvd. I've been really enjoying it here, to the point where I'm just not online that often. So much to do! I'm picking up biking again, and killing myself on the hills after a lifetime of flat prairie riding. Heh. I don't mind the looong daylight hours...now. Took a bit to get used to though!

      The fabric store here is a bit crap (although the quilting shop is nice), but there's a large knitting community here, and so guess what I think my next new hobby will be?

      You were right, this place is amazing. The city and surrounding landscape is gorgeous and the people are so friendly, they'd almost put Manitobians to shame! I'm excited to get into some of the programs here, a knitting class and soccer in the fall, and maybe cross-country skiing this winter.

      I might be starting up another blog so that I can share some of my experiences here (and babble about geology stuff, like explaining pretty pebbles and stuff), so I'll let you know if I do launch that. :)

      Thanks again for all your suggestions and advice. I think I'm going to really enjoy it here.

      Delete
    2. I am so sorry the fabric store is crap, it used to be not bad, at least by Whitehorse standards. Oh well at least you can order stuff online, something that was just coming along when I lived there.

      Have you been to Riverside Market yet? I miss that store. Every town should have one.

      Delete
    3. I haven't made it there yet, but I hear you can actually buy kimchi there, so I'll be going soon. I'm excited to see what it was that you've been talking about!

      The fabric store is alright, but pretty basic and pretty expensive for basic and sort of cheap fabric. From what a few locals have said, they don't order in fabric that often either. But I'll give them a shot. Support local, and all that. :)

      Delete
  4. What a crazy move! (although the drive does look/sound like fun) Glad you're settling in, and yes, do enjoy all that sunshine while it lasts!

    Maybe someday when my kids are surly teenagers hubs and I can abandon them and do a huge cross-canada road-trip... so many places I'd love to see...

    Glad you made it safe and sound, anyway... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see how your top turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cool to see your post again!! Good luck with the new location!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow, congrats on finishing the move!! how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm excited for you, and impressed with the 12 hours of driving a day alone!We just did a 3 person road trip and it was grueling!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...