Friday, July 27, 2012

Uh...Hello There, New Hobby



So uh, guess who's teaching herself to knit?  THAT WOULD BE ME.  Or I suppose it's re-teaching, because I techically learned when I was a kid.  My grandma introduced me to sewing, crocheting, and knitting.  But knitting and sewing is hard and time consuming, and crocheting is less of both, so you can guess which one I stuck with.    I've been resisting knitting for years, but I knew almost as soon as I moved to Whitehorse that I'd be picking it up.  Sure enough...

Anywho, this is my first try!  Not too bad, eh?  Well, unless you look closely.  See that bottom part?  With the different texture?  That was me failing at doing the knit part of knit and purl.  Here, I'll show you what I did:

Normal Knit Stitch:

Insert point of right needle into the stitch from front to back and under left needle*...
...so that the needle and yarn looks like this.  Then complete the stitch.

Heather's Wonky Knit Stitch:

Insert point of right needle into the stitch at the back and under left needle...
...so that the needle and yarn looks like this.  Then complete the stitch.


See the difference?  It does this to the pattern:
Which...I actually really like.  It has a neat texture to it.  I wonder if this is an actual stitch.  If not, I propose we call it the Wonky Heather Stitch!

Yay a completed swatch! So far I've learned to cast on, knit stitch (for a combined Garter Stitch), purl stitch (for a combined knit/purl pattern that makes up the Stockinette Stitch), and binding off.

I'll be donating all my practice swatches to the yarn bombing of the DC-3 weathervane at the Whitehorse Transportation museum.  I stopped in to see the progress of the blankets today, and the woman mentioned that they could use more small pieces for wonky areas.  I'm excited to get involved with this project!  Going to be a fun way to meet other people who are into the same things as me!

So are any of you learning to knit?  Are you guys going to abandon me if I start adding a lot of yarn work posts on a sewing blog?  Oh please love me despite my flaws!  (I'm lying, my yarny friends, it's not a flaw at all!)

*Instructions from First Steps in Knitting, by Mary Thomas and the American School of Needlework.

10 comments:

  1. That looks pretty good to me! I like the wonky-knit part, and may have to try it. You are inspiring me to pull out the hat I'm knitting and get it finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the wonky knit looks cool. Ah, I'm glad this is inspiring you to pull out that UFO. :D

      Delete
  2. It is a real stitch. It is a twisted stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shucks! Missed out on accidently discovering a new stitch! Thanks for the info. :D

      Delete
  3. I'm learning too - knew the basics but nothing else. I'm still doing straight scarves and making up stitches too though! Love your twisted stitch, it looks pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty stitch, eh? It was hard to slip the stitch off the needle though, which was my first clue that I was doing something wrong.

      Yay for learning to knit! I'm impressed that you've gotten straight scarves. When I first learned, they wobbled back and forth and got bigger and smaller and all sorts of weirdness. Of course, I was about 8 at the time, and your hand-eye coordination (and actual interest in the subject) was probably much better than mine. I know I'm much more vigilent for dropped stitches now, and actually pay attention to what I'm doing. :)

      Delete
  4. Yay for new hobbies. And really knitting would only be half a new hobby since the yarn stash can oh-so-efficiently be used for knitting and crocheting.

    I wont abandon you, I read blogs as much for their personal stories and writing style as for the content. So knit away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's ALL fiber! It's all good!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're awesome. I was afraid to scare people away.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...