Saturday, July 17, 2010
A sheety blouse or a blousy sheet?
I've unfortunately been busy with my thesis the last while, but I have managed to sew up a blouse this past week from NewLook 6407. It was supposed to be a muslin, but I love the fabric I used (an old top sheet I bought at the thrift store for a couple bucks), so I decided to do a wearable muslin.
I actually did very little alterations to the pattern, only shortened the waist by 1/2 inch. I read many reviews over at PR that said that this pattern was quite snug, so I figured I'd just give'er on the muslin and fix any problems in the next try. It's quite comfortable, even in the bust, and I don't think I'll change anything next time.
I found it mostly went together really well, although this was the first time I've ever done vertical darts, and there were 4 of them in this pattern.
The only time I really ran into trouble was with the collar. This was also a new technique for me, and I found the instructions really hard to follow on this one. I attached the collar once, and found I'd completely messed it up.
But I found a video online that helped a bit, and after ripping off the first attempt, re-cutting the collar, and thinking about it a bit, I figured it out.
It's not perfect, but I'm the only one who knows about the problem areas, and for once, I'm not tattling on myself. ;)
I decided to finish the inside seams a bit more than I normally take the time to do. They're also not perfect, and definitely not professional, but it's finished. I just folded in both sides of the seams, then top-stitched.
The only part I didn't finish was the armholes, and I'm not sure if I'm going to go back and fix it. I guess I could add a Hong Kong seam (which would've been an option for all of the other seams). Meh, we'll see.
I think my 3 favourite things about this shirt is the collar, the self-covered buttons, and the curved hemline. Overall, I'm super proud of how this turned out. It was relatively easy but challenging enough that I learned a few new techniques and worked my way through a few issues. My finishing was much better than other projects in the past, and I've gotten a well-fitted, flattering top out of the deal!
I'll be adding this top to my contest wardrobe, since it actually goes well with other pieces I've made. I think I'm even going to make one more, out of a pretty quilters cotton I found at Fabricland yesterday.
A little wild, I know, but I really love the fabric. Heh, I think I'm only going to have my Wardrobe Contest storyboard finalized once I actually finish sewing it all! :D