Saturday, April 14, 2012

Colour Inspiration: Yellow!

Colette Patterns is hosting their Spring/Summer Palette Challenge, and Caitlin recently posted her moodboard. She's got a palette full of pretty pastel blues and pinks.
The colors I chose are ones I don’t naturally gravitate towards for myself but I’m stepping out of my comfort zone and trying something new! What about you? Are you planning on using tried and true colors or are your switching it up?
This got me thinking. This spring, despite years of being kind of meh about the colour, I'm all about the colour yellow. I shouldn't be surprised though, I've always thought that there's nothing more cheery than a field of canola or sunflowers on a bright clear Manitoba day!

Actually, this latest obsession started in the middle of winter, when I found a bunch of lovely spring fabrics in the clearance area at Fabricland and picked up a couple metres of this bright yellow silk noil at 75% off.

It's actually brighter in person, but the lighting outside was pretty poor. Your retnas should be happy though. This fabric is bright!

It screamed at me that it wanted to be a skirt. Why I'd want to put one of the brightest colours in nature on my ample booty I have no idea, but just go with it. I'm still trying to decide what kind of skirt. Originally I was thinking A-line, but maybe a pleated skirt, something with more volume? What do you think?

Anyways, a few weeks ago, I was at Value Village to buy scads of t-shirts and tanks for the summer, and happened to find not one but two bright yellow cardigans! And to top it off, one had giant polkadots. It was a no-brainer.

Every time I wear these cardigans to the office, people comment on how bright and cheery I look. Operation: Canola Field is a success!

Is there any colours that are suddenly catching your attention lately? Or are you sticking with tried and true colours this year? What's been inspiring you lately?

*~~*~~*

Oh hey, speaking of thrift shopping, look at what I found at my local used book store!

Totally worth the $15 I dished out for it!

9 comments:

  1. Don't you just love sewing with silk noil? IMO it is one of the nicest fabrics to sew, soft but not too soft, presses beautifully, doesn't slip. I just love it. At 75% off you couldn't lose, and yellow is just so happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't sewn with it yet, but I'm excited to. I'm glad to hear it's nice to work with! I also have enough silk noil in a coral colour to make a dress, so I'll be getting a lot of experience with it soon. :D

      Delete
  2. Yellow is my favourite colour! But I tend to wear a lot of black, I don't know why that is? What a score on the silk noil!!! I've been checking Fabricland every week for their silk noir to drop in price I'm still waiting. I didn't even see raw silk at Mitchell Fabrics. Did you score all of it? No worries if you did, I'm just kidding. I think I put myself on a no-more-fabric diet. Nice score and colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the good news is there was lots of it left on the bolt (at the Pembina location, btw). The bad news is that was back in December. :( It was an amazing find, and even though I'd never sewn with anything fancier than cotton, this silk didn't seem like much of a stretch. I hope you find some good deals yourself, but sorry to disappoint you about my find.

      Delete
  3. Aww! Yellow was Syo's favourite colour for ages, sadly she seems to have grown tired of it lately (just after we decorated her bedroom in it :P)

    Have fun with your new colour. I was seduced away from red by a deep cobalt blue a little while back, and think intermittently about returning. We'll see. I must admit I kind of move slowly on the colour front---it takes me a long time to get tired of one I like, and a long time to warm up to ones I don't. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waiting for green to strike my fancy, but it hasn't for years. Which is weird because I've always liked it better than yellow, but I guess not in clothes.

      Ooo, colbalt blue! Kind of like that Star Wars sheet eh?

      Delete
  4. I love the colors! I am jealous of your yellow. When I wear yellow it reflects off the whiteness of my face and makes me look like I may die soon. I am so drawn to the color though! So jealous. Great book too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make a skirt too! That way it's not near your face and we can be yellow-assed twins! :D

      Delete
  5. I love yellow! I pretty much love all the warm colors, especially orange (too bad it makes me look sort of dead). I have one lemony yellow top, perfect for summer, but it's so hard to find fabric in that exact shade, but I dream of having a cardigan or dress in that color.

    And what a score on that book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...